We have developed a free mentoring arrangement for those that wish to participate. This is not limited to Greater London at all and is very much a nationwide activity.
There is no charge for this at all. We simply wish for the London Cleantech Cluster platform to provide a basis to bring useful expertise to where it is needed.
Are you an experienced business person who would like to offer your services, initially at least on a pro bono basis, to a cleantech company that can benefit from your expertise? This can naturally lead on to non-executive positions in the future, as well as provide support for companies at a strategically important time in their development. Your expertise can be market specific or function specific, it does not matter. There is significant demand for expertise in the cleantech sector.
Company looking for a mentor
Alternatively, are you a young company that would like to receive input from an experienced executive on a pro bono basis? You might find that your senior management team is short of financial expertise, sales and marketing knowledge, presence or experience in a particular market or you simply need to have someone around to turn to who has done it all before successfully. This can be very much the case if you are seeking to attract funding or a partner.
If you wish to be a pro bono mentor or you wish to have the significant benefits of a mentor to help you take your business forward, then please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your details.
Companies looking for mentors
- This UK based online business is building a nationwide recycling database where users will type in the item and their zip code to find where to deposit it. CEO is looking for a mentor with web business experience to help them become investable within six months. There is also space for mentors with waste management and local councils/government expertise to get involved.
- A Liverpool based company that assists other businesses to do trade and investment in emerging markets, primarily Indonesia and South East Asia. The MD is looking for a mentor to assist with financial planning and perspective on attracting funding.
- A non-profit organization based in London promoting youth placements, teacher/educator exchange schemes as well as Personal Development workshops in the renewable sector. The executive director is looking for a mentor to help him generate greater exposure.
- A university sustainability programme based in Ulster has developed an innovative low cost domestic solar water heater. A Research Fellow is in need of expertise in manufacturing, taking R&D projects to market, liscensing out technology, and making lab designs into working production prototypes.
- A growing solar business based in London and doing business across the South of England and up to Oxford. The Operations Director is looking for a mentor to add experience in the fields of sales, marketing, and best practices for the construction industry.
- A young cleantech investment company that is looking to invest in small but scalable companies/processes that can result in big changes. Based out of London the CTO with a strong technical background is looking for a mentor that has a substantial financial background.
- A cleantech CEO is looking for financing support as well as someone with experience in international sales. This London based company specializes ins separation technologies that harnesses the power of membranes to improve ethanol production.
- Cambridgeshire based clean-tech start-up, specialising in solar cooling and heating products that use no electricity or other fuels. Our patented products include solar patio heaters, air-conditioning systems, and vaccine refrigerators. Looking for development funding and a mentor to support the push into the market.
- A new business, based in Surrey, pioneering the application of Internet of Things and wireless sensor network applications for improving the management and energy efficiency of water networks. Strong technical team and platform looking for sales & marketing expertise and guidance towards 1st round investment.
An Oxford-based pre-start up company planning to commercialise a pilot-tested pyrolysis-based tyre treatment solution in the UK market providing a highly efficient and environmentally benign solution to end-of-life tyre disposal problem. Looking for a mentor with market experience within waste treatment / energy-from-waste space. Further co-operation may involve an advisory role and/or a non-executive position.
A Micro Co based in the East Midlands – Nottingham – with a high technical skill base, and focussing on the design of next generation Lighting control systems for energy saving in the commercial retrofit building marketplace. Our product is at final design stage and we have applied for 2 system level patents to protect our technology. Our company is looking to raise capital for first stage production, marketing and sales and we need assistance in developing the initial sales and marketing strategy. We have a high potential for growth as we have targeted the product towards the current 1.5 M small to medium commercial buildings with the current UK marketplace, all of which require some form of energy management to bring them up to today’s standards.
A pre-revenue, post-demo 2013 West Midlands start-up (with 8-year prior activities and long engineering experience) is developing environment-friendly and energy-efficient B2B products in the following areas : containerized biowaste power plants, natural gas conditioning units, solar/waste energy coolers, internal combustion engine augmentation units (lower emissions, higher efficiency), waste to energy technology integration. They have attracted a long list of willing customers worldwide. They are looking for a mentor/partner with the expertise in start-up funding and technical marketing, with the objective to facilitate company financing and team-building.
A Bournemouth-based company is looking for an Entrepreneur with experience and a proven track record to take a novel and revolutionary new form of thermal expansion pumping technology, from proof of concept stage to market ready for investors. The inventor can meet the technical demands, but needs support for the entire business model, plan and execution. These pumps are applicable to facilitate heat engine cycles from low grade waste or renewable thermal energy sources, across multiple industries and scale of application including Marine, Oil and gas, CHP commercial and domestic and transport sectors.
- A London-based innovative feed company is developing one the most advanced, efficient and sustainable systems to feed the world. We produce animal feed the way nature intended. We are utilising the power of Hermetia illucens (Black Soldier Fly) – to ‘up-cycle’ organic waste into a sustainable protein feed alternative for, Aquaculture and Livestock. We are building on six years of successful H. illucens breeding development, and are looking to develop the UK’s first ‘industrial pilot facility’. Nature does not believe in waste, and neither do we. I am preferably looking for 2 mentors – one with a background in Waste Engineering and a second in food/commodities. It would be very useful if at least one wishes to be somewhat hands on.
- A leading privately-owned, multi-award winning Energy Consultancy and Sustainable Engineering Design Consultancy with offices in Reading, London and Abu Dhabi, with a proven track record of achievement growing an average of 57% pa (20% growth achieved last year), supported by various Goldman Sachs Programmes since 2013, now wishes to push forward its 3 year business growth plan by increasing its proposition offering, growing nationally and overseas, with systems to attract industry talent, enhancing its digital brand presence and by investing in key strategic senior executive management. In order for the business to transform into a large leading multi-disciplined engineering consultancy & energy efficiency implementation provider in the UK built environment, they are seeking to add to their senior management a Mentor/Chairman who has the following expertise/criteria: industry expertise in property development, energy efficiency, building services engineering, renewable technology; has previously acquired <2 businesses; experience in raising capital, corporate structuring and having attracted corporate finance in the past; has successfully exited a business; 45+ years old; strong network in the property/energy sector; willing to promote the business brand and the company’s growth plans.
- A NW England/ Wales-based micro company is seeking to commercialise its patented approach to the recycling and recovery of high quality wood fibre from waste medium density fibreboard (MDF). This World first technology has reached pilot phase with concept now proven after successful completion of Innovate UK funded R&D. Design of a commercial scale plant is underway and a first customer has been identified, with significant interest from other global manufacturers of MDF products. Assistance is needed to help with corporate finance and licensing strategies as the business enters its next fund raising round. Some Angel and corporate investments already secured but additional private / public funds will be required to move the business to revenue generation. There are 75 million tons of MDF produced every year across the globe and currently no effective recycling route. This technology offers closed loop recycling opportunities for major users of MDF such as large retail chains and furniture manufacturers. It also offers the MDF sector the potential for zero waste production and significant cost savings at a time when raw material prices are rising steadily.
- We are a start-up company working on a disruptive offshore based kite technology that can help in solving the world’s energy crisis and accelerate the world’s transition to renewables. We are developing a very unique technology that harnesses offshore altitude wind using kites. A simple but highly innovative technology that harnesses the immense and consistent power in deep sea offshore altitude wind combined with the power of subsea oceanic pressure to provide reliable, low-cost clean dispatchable electrical energy, grid scale energy storage and water desalination. The technology we are developing has the potential to transform the entire dynamics of the energy market in terms of on-demand dispatchable power from wind, reliable energy generation, efficiency, energy sector electrification, lowering the cost of energy, scalability, security of supply, and environmental impact. A zero carbon emissions technology that outcompetes fossil fuel based power generation in terms of cost, scalability, power density and energy density. We are looking for an experienced mentor in the energy markets or specifically renewables and a senior executive that can help with raising funds and developing a diversified funding strategy.
- A Hertfordshire-based company with a patented technology which brings water to boiling point instantly and uses the exact amount of water, time and energy required. Our technology does not use any form of storage for the liquid such as a tank and is capable of a constant supply of boiling temperature water on a truly on-demand basis, all in a device the size of a soft-drink can. Applications for our technology span a vast amount of sectors such as integration into kitchen worktops, sinks, fridge doors, professional espresso machines. Looking for a mentor to join the team with experience and industry contacts within home appliance sectors.
- London-based startup working on a high-capacity, clean transportation system to improve congestion and air pollution in big cities. Early engineering phase. Looking to deploy via infrastructure projects in the developing and developed world. Looking for mentor from the infrastructure or transportation sector.
- Central London start-up with a platform for emission delivery services planning to launch on 8th April when the London’s ULEZ is introduced. The company is also working with Imperial College in a grant assisted programme to develop a system for tracking health costs and GHG savings made by users of the platform. Advisors are sought with Tech Platform and Funding Strategy experience.
- Based in Manchester, we are in the early stages of developing a zero emissions, unmanned airship platform designed from the ground up to cater for a wide range of industries. To make this a reality, we are searching for investment for two prototype stages. To help with this process, we are looking for a mentor who has experience in raising early the stage funding as well as seeking talented and passionate engineers.
- This Banbury and London based Cleantech company with a proven Retrofit device which reduces harmful exhaust emissions from cars, vans and large commercial vehicles, needs investment to support their Innovate UK grant and is looking for a mentor to assist with financial planning, perspective on attracting funding, and ideally, bringing a product to market. Feasibility study by an automotive testing station shows reductions of up to 90%. Ideally, the mentor would have a keen interest in air pollution mitigation.
- A young, pre-revenue start-up creating an innovative new B2C carbon offsetting solution by linking the spending habits of our customers to their carbon footprint, in the form of a mobile app, is seeking two mentors to help enthusiastic founders who have sector experience but no previous start-up experience. 1. A mentor with a substantial financial background. 2. A mentor with experience in bringing a technology product / mobile application to market.
- West Midlands-based company with a unique, cost-saving, integratable technology seeks a mentor in commercialisation of environmental exhaust systems (small engines, transport, construction, agriculture, etc.) and/or in commercialisation of process catalysis (chemicals & petroleum processing). The technology results in a physical product, not an IT product.
- A London-based one year old start-up, £20k+ early revenue and +25 early adopters, has begun to develop a platform/’one-stop shop’ for sustainability to allow small businesses to do just this – to measure, track, reduce and showcase the environmental impact of their business and products. We are looking for an experienced entrepreneur mentor to guide us through our growth as well as an advisor who can aid in project managing the development of our platform.